11 October 2012

How To Select Keywords For Organic SEO Campaign

Selecting right type of keyword is very important. In our tutorial on "How To Do Keyword Research" we have mentioned the correct way of keyword researching for your website that provides you not only traffic, but right type of traffic which is really interested in your website's content. After you have researched many keywords for your web pages, it is not possible to start SEO for all those pages. You have to start with few suitable keywords about which you are sure that you can get top page rankings for that particular keyword.




In this case, no. of exact searches is important but it is not the only thing which you should keep in mind when selecting keywords. You should also check the competition of the keywords you are going to select for your SEO campaign.

There are different methods to check the competition of a keyword. One is from Google Keyword Tool which I've told you in previous lecture that this is not for organic searches. The other methods are follows:

1- allintitle:
2- allinanchor:
3- allinurl:



All In Title: 

As clear from the heading, this query will show all the websites or web pages which have our target keyword in title tag of the site. For example, if my keyword is "Pakistan", I will open www.Google.com and in search bar, I will write allintitle: Pakistan and then I will press enter. It will show me how many websites have keyword "Pakistan" in title tag.


In above picture, you can see there are about 56,500,000 results for this query. It means 56,500,000 sites have "Pakistan" in their title tags and all those sites are my competitors.

All In Anchor:

This query will show the results of all the sites which have keyword "Pakistan" in anchor text anywhere on the website or web page. This result will be much higher than "allintitle" result. For example for "Pakistan" if I write the query in Google.com  as allinanchor: Pakistan it will show 596,000,000 results. Almost 10 times higher than allintitle query.

All In URL:

This query will show the results of all the websites which have keyword "Pakistan" in their URL. That may be anywhere in domain name, or in URL of a sub page. If I write allinurl: Pakistan it will show 29,000,000 results.

So there are three different ways to check the competition of a keyword. There is no hard and fast rule about which query or method you should chose to check the competition, as all the queries shows different results. According to my experience I prefer to check the competition using "allintitle" query, because normally every SEO manager put their target keywords in Title tag of specific page.

Now, lets suppose I have searched two keywords for my mobile website which provide mobile prices in Pakistan. And these keywords are:

"mobiles prices in pakistan" with 2400 exact local searches.
"latest mobile prices in pakistan" with 2900 exact local searches.

Now both the keywords have almost same local searches and I have to select one. before selecting the keyword, I have check the competition in Google.com and found following results:

Keyword                                                  Competition
mobiles prices in pakistan                       12700
latest mobile prices in pakistan               3350

Now, definitely I will select the second keyword, as it has high searches and very low competition as compared to first keyword. It means it will be quite easy for me to get the second keyword on top page than getting the first keyword on top page. Lets suppose if local searches for the second keyword are 2000 which is lower than first keyword even than, I will select the second keyword, because search volume difference is not big, but competition difference is higher. So selecting second keyword would be wise decision as per my experience.

1 comment :

  1. The best method I've learnt from this post and really grateful to you. Searching keyword and choosing the right keywords is most important in seo campaign which I do with my Colibri SEO Tool that helps selecting the best keyword with proper competitor analysis. It's available here http://colibritool.com

    ReplyDelete